DAVAO DEL SUR POLICE PROVINCIAL OFFICE
HISTORY OF DAVAO DEl SUR POLICE PROVINCIAL OFFICE
Prior to the creation of the province on May 8, 1967, the undivided province of Davao where Davao del Sur belonged and Davao City which is the capital of old Davao shared the same history.
The province of Davao Del Sur was created by the defunct Congress on May 8, 1967 under Republic Act No. 4867. It started functioning as a province on July 1, 1967 which was comprised of only ten (10) municipalities where Digos as the capital. The elective provincial positions were filled by appointments by the President of the Philippines until the time when the officials were duly elected and qualified in the 1967 election.
The province derived its name from the word “Daba-Daba”. This is a bagobo word which used to refer to a “Sacred Brass” that belonged to the legendary bagobo chieftain named Datu Duli. Datu Duli lived at the rolling hills of the famous Sandawa Mountain, the ancient name of Mt. Apo. Later on, the letter “O” was added to the word which meant justice to the bagobos. It was added to describe the fairness with which justice was dispensed with by Datu Duli among his people. As years went by, the word “Daba-Daba” was shortened to Daba-o which later on was pronounced Davao.
The early inhabitants of Davao del Sur were the Bagobo-Guinggas who occupied the places at the foot of Mt. Apo, the Bilaans of the Hagonoy Valley, the Manobos in Malita and Jose Abad Santos and other ancient tribes. The aboriginal tribes are believed to belong to the second wave of Indonesians who came to the island from Southeast Asia years before the birth of Christ (BC), probably between 1,000 and 2,500 years ago. These early settlers lived a peaceful life, developed a rich culture unaffected by outside influence until the end of the 14th century when the Muslim Malays from Java and Sumatra introduced the Arabic strain into the ways of life of the early Davaoweños, The Muslim influence became an established fact with the famed Mohammedan leader Shereef Kabungsuan of Arab as its first sultan. Muslim tribe like the Maranaos and Maguindanaos occupied certain places of Davao Del Sur. The original inhabitants remained unconverted to the new faith.
The introduction of the Christian religion in Davao del Sur occurred after the colonization of the northern islands. Here is the account of Zaide:
“In 1847, Jose Uyanguren, a wealthy soldier adventurer, offered to the Spanish government a proposition that he would pacify and colonize Davao at his own expense. Governor Claveria approved Uyanguren’s proposal on February 27, 1847. In two years of hard fighting, he was able to pacify the warlike tribes and founded a settlement which he called Nuevo Vergara in honor of his natal city in Spain. It is now Davao City “ (Zaide, History of the Philippines, Mc.Cullough Printing Co.,
Manila 1957, p. 72).
However, the Spanish entry into the province dates even before Uyanguren’s pacification drive. The early excursion of Spain in Davao del Sur occurred during the period of exploration. Alip accounts that one of the early Spanish expeditions landed in one of the islets in Sarangani. This is the Villalobos expedition in 1542.
At the turn of the 20th century, other tribes from the Visayas arrived who later became the leaders of the province in government, particularly the Cebuanos. Soon they were joined by the pioneering Ilocanos and Ifugaos who occupied the municipality of Magsaysay. Others came captivated by the promise of Mindanao all of whom built together what is now the province of Davao Del Sur.
The name DAVAO was derived from Bagobo word “DABA-DABA” which means “SCARED BRASS”. It was said that the brass belonged to a legendary Bagobo chieftain “DATU DULI” which lies at the foot of Sandawa mountain, now the famous Mt. Apo. Later, the letter “O” was affixed to the word which means justice among Bagobo tribe for fairness was dispensed by their chieftain. As years went by, the name “DABA-DABA” was shortened to DABA-o. Long usage of the word and clipped it to “DABAO”, now the name of the province.
The command is located in the southern part of the Philippines. It is bound of the east of Davao Gulf, in the west by the provinces of South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat and North Cotabato, on the North by Davao City, and in the South by the Celebes Sea. The area of responsibility of Davao Sur Police Provincial Office covers 9 municipalities, 1 component city and 232 barangay with a total land area of 2,163.98 square kilometers and a total population of 632,588 inhabitants as of year 2015.
The province of Davao del Sur was created on May 8, 1967, pursuant to RA 4867 dated May 7, 1967. It started functioning as an independent province on July 1, 1967. Prior to this period, Davao del Sur was still a part of Davao City as pertains to military and police forces. There was only one (1) existing territorial line unit then in the province, the 434th PCR company located at Malalag, Davao del Sur, as well as the local police stations in the municipalities. Right after the abolition of the IV PC Zone in 1978, Region XI PC/INP command was created and Davao del Sur was one of its Provincial Commands. On May 24, 1980, Davao City and Davao del Sur PC/INP Command was separated pursuant to GO NR 69 HQS RECOM XI and activated the Davao del Sur PC/INP Command effective June 1, 1980 under the Command of LT COL ROGELIO N AREVALO (GSC), the first Provincial Commander/Police Superintendent, with headquarters at Digos, Davao del Sur. It has one (1) line company, the 434th PC Company, stationed at Malalag, Davao del Sur. Then the 435th PC Company was organized/activated pursuant to GO NR 30 para 1 dated 13 March 1987, RHQ RECOM XI, as an additional territorial line unit of the command. Said company’s station was co-located at the provincial headquarters in Digos, Davao del Sur. On December 18, 1989, the DAVAO SUR PC/INP COMMAND was transferred from its temporary headquarters in Digos, Davao del Sur to its permanent provincial headquarters located at San Agustin, Digos, Davao del Sur. The permanent camp is five (5) kilometers away from the Poblacion of Digos taking the road bound to North Cotabato. The 435th PC Company as the service company of the command was transferred together with the command thru the effort of LT COL JESUS R MAGNO (GSC) PC, the Provincial Commander.
The PC/INP bowed out of service to give way to its advent successor-the Philippine National Police. The PNP is a new organization created by mandate of the New Constitution. But it came into being by virtue of RA 6975 otherwise known as the PNP Law effective 02 January 1991 under the reorganized Department of the Interior and Local Government.